PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing in public areas - no marshalling?
Old 26th May 2021, 20:28
SLFMS

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
QUOTE=OvertHawk;11051005]And a situation which UK HEMS and Ambulance crews have been thinking about and managing for over three decades and hundreds of thousands of off-site landings.

I can't say I've seen the SOPs for every single operator but the ones that I have seen all include crowd control and oversight of the machine, when rotors running, by a member of the medical crew or other emergency service personnel at any time when there is a risk of public access.

This really is not a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Agree completely with this statement, what you see as a big deal with unmitigated risk control is just a normal day for any HEMS or SAR crew. It is highly likely there was a good reason to land there that was not apparent. A good example is their services are no longer required for the tasking due to death or the patient not been urgent enough for the helicopter. There could be any other reason that is just as reasonable. I would be surprised if the crew just landed because they could!

The crew have enough to deal with in their day to day work so probably best not to second guess them especially as stated where you were too far away to see everything anyway.

It would be a sad day indeed if helicopters required a marshaller for a simple landing.