PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has business travel really changed forever?
Old 26th May 2021, 13:50
SpringHeeledJack

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Once the novelty wears off and Employers adjust salaries to reflect the lower WFH costs, I suspect we will see another realignment.
I had this discussion several times over the last 14 months or so with a friend whose wife is a lawyer who has been 'WFH' instead of the city of London. They live outside the London area and I said that at some point she would be called back as a physical presence with colleagues and clients would be optimal. He always countered that apart from a court presence she could WFH until the cows came home as long as the work got done. It does get done, but uses up several more hours per day to do so, so no real benefit in not commuting. "What happens when London Weighting is stopped as you're no longer working in London ?" "They'll just pay her the same"....Well now it seems that she will be expected to be in the office 4 days a week and anyone who lives outside London will lose the London Weighting in due course if they primarily WFH.

I had a chat with my hairdresser last week (as you do) and they said that of their regular clients in central London, most were expected to work at least a 4 day week in the office from June 21st or lose their desk and other assumed benefits within the companies going forward. WFH Friday's or Monday's would become the norm for the foreseeable future in many corporate environments.