PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has business travel really changed forever?
Old 25th May 2021, 22:09
Mr Mac

Received 168 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Dryce
Many more people willing / expecting to be able to do that presentation over a remote link.

And doing it over the link gets there quicker and potentially at the *customer's* convenence.

You're also assuming that there will be offices to visit.

It doesn't mean that the need for travel for business will not resume - just that its value to many customers has probably diminished - so I don't think demand is likely to return to previous levels.
Dryce
Offices are open for business all over the world when you want them to be, but there needs to be a want. It maybe some people do not want to return to work in the same old way, as it did not fit with their life style. I have heard from customers who are having huge issues with people working from home, who basically believe they can do their hours when ever they want, ignoring the fact that other people need to be in touch with them during core hours. Sending responses to questions at 22.00 to a question asked at 10.00 in the same time zone is unreasonable, and puts pressure on the whole team, but I have had that same example trotted out to me nearly 10 times from various companies in the UK in the last 2 weeks while over there. That method of work will lead to issues for companies, and ultimately the individuals involved. Many people in companies who did not get furloughed have worked really hard, and many on reduced pay to keep the wheels going around while other took months off at 80% pay but often with reduced mortgage etc. Not sure I agree with your view of the future, and I hope your company is lucky as everything we are being told about the UK business sector in the coming year is distinctly gloomy as companies will go bust when weened off the Govt Covid support. As regards Business travel, my people are up and travelling and meeting people and closing deals.Its not easy, and it is costly, and not so much fun in these strange times, but our hit rate justifies the expense, and THE some what limited risk due to young teams, and vaccines and common sense. You have to come out of the bunker some time.

Cheers
Mr Mac