PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK based ATO comparisons
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2021, 02:29
spitfirejock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are my top 10 rules, if I was starting today and not 50 years ago, I would definitely follow them.......

1. Go Modular if you are paying for yourself and are not being sponsored or funded by an airline.
2. Seek the highest quality training by doing proper research.
3. Spend no more than $60,000 (or equivalent) from start to finish (CPL/ME/IR/MCC)
4. Do not think the cheapest is the best option, it costs real money to deliver quality training.
5. Don't delay just because of the COVID trauma we have had to endure.
6. The market is on the way back and in 2 years (or less) you could be qualified and ready and not in a mountain of debt.
7. Look at the US option (started in Florida 26 years ago) for UK and EASA training, favorable exchange rates. sensible pricing, good weather, reputable approved FAA schools with UK & EASA approvals are limited in number but worth a serious look.
8. DO NOT ever pay the total course price (or a significant portion) upfront - run a mile from any school which demands that regardless of glossy advertising or promises a job or connections with airlines.
9. DO NOT blindly follow either the optimist or the gloom and doom merchants - find out the facts for yourself - this forum does not give definitive answers, postings are just opinions (like mine) some from those who care about giving helpful advice, but also from those that don't and are bias or have a vested interest themselves.
10. Most of all though, ENJOY THE RIDE....learning to fly is amazing, being a pilot is something to be proud of (PPL or CPL) - flying is the best profession in the world if you love flying, but don't do it for the imagined glamour of the job, which so often, doesn't really exist.

After 50 years as a private and professional pilot and many ups and downs along the way (like many others who contribute to this and other forums), I think item 10 is critical to make the journey all worth it.