PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence vs Military assets
View Single Post
Old 24th May 2021, 17:00
SLXOwft

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy
What's also missing from the inventory are training aircraft? How about bases for the assets? Would the Typhoons, C-130s, Helis and, one imagines, training aircraft, all be squeezed into Lossiemouth? Would Leuchars and Kinloss be open againg for various roles?

FB
They could buy back HM(S)S Gannet from the mysterious 'European Investor in Transport Infrastructure' if they have bought it by then. The current revenues appear dominated by military traffic.

According to the BBC: 'The most recent accounts, for the year to March 2020, state that the airport turned a £5.4m pre-tax profit. While passenger traffic revenue was less than £800,000, revenue from refuelling mainly military aircraft rose in the year from £12m to £21m.'

mgd, I thought Holland was where RAF Holbeach is. The Dutch one was split in to Noord-Holland and Zuid-Holland in 1840.

Prof. O'Brien (Director of Research, School of International Relations, St Andrews) is an American, from Boston (the separatist one not the Lincs one.) via Hartford, Conn, Wall St and Cambridge (England) where his PhD was in British and American politics and naval policy. Whatever his politics, his academic credentials are sound, if some of his opinions controversial to some, viz: How the War Was Won: Air-Sea Power and Allied Victory in World War II (Cambridge Military History). I don't think we can dismiss his analysis out of hand.

And finally: I understand polling shows a roughly 50/50 split on unilateral nuclear disarmament; whatever their review document says on the subject the SNP website is very clear. https://www.snp.org/tridentfacts/

8) With independence, we can get rid of Trident in Scotland
Independence will give us the power to remove nuclear weapons from Scotland, and being free to make different decisions from Westminster can save billions of pounds – money that can deliver direct benefits for the people of Scotland.

We want to see a world free from nuclear weapons, and an independent Scotland will be a principled advocate for nuclear disarmament on the global stage.