PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The RAF's 50th anniversary celebrations at RAF Abingdon on 14June 1968
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:07
sycamore

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
Dave,as I think most of the FTSs at the time had their own Station Formation Teams,then maybe their Leaders were used,but probably by `OC STDS/Wg Cdr Flying/CI...
I agree with OUAQ....,Best display,apart from the Chivenor Open day Bash...I did enjoy the Belgian /Dutch,? team of 4 Hunters,led by a Fg Off/equivalent,plus 3 Snco/W/offs on their last Display tour,almost `holding-hands`in their routine,which included an upward `bomb-burst` followed by a split to then all cross the intersection of Abingdon`s runways at very low-level at the absolute split-second,from all 4 points..I know they were laterally and vertically seperated,but it looked like there was going to be a lot of `scrap` lying around after..Can`t remember,but they may have been called `les Diables Rouge...? I have seen an earlier `incarnation` of a similar formation team in Magisters,who would `kiss` wing-tip tanks as well....