PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Crash Investigation 1993
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2021, 13:19
Jobza Guddun

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnotthatbloodyhard
That was my memory of it, having also been there when it happened - but it was a long time ago now, and it’s quite possible I’m wrong. There was certainly debris all over the airfield (I thought some had actually hit that Herc), and it was amazing that no-one watching from the adjacent fields was hit by anything.
The falling wreckage of the one that impacted just inside the fence took off the end of the starboard tailplane of a Belgian C-130. On a video you can see people sat on the wing and one of them throws themself off the front! They were all ok though. As it bounced through the fence the wreck passed a group of people sat on a hay trailer just outside without injury. A wing pylon from the same jet punched through the port wing fillet panels on an Italian G222 on the same dispersal, fortunately without hitting anything structurally significant (or anybody!). Witnessed it from the Aussie F-111 parked southside and then saw the aftermath northside as we attempted to help the coppers secure the wreckage - at least one person I saw being lifted by security forces for taking souvenirs. Oddly enough, one of my strongest memories is of "suits" taking photos of the ejection seats....