PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing in public areas - no marshalling?
Old 22nd May 2021, 17:57
helimutt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Uplinker
Thank you. Interesting - and quite agree that life saving is important.

Us fixed wing mob are not allowed to walk across an airport taxiway, even with our Hi Viz jackets, training and knowledge of the dangers and hazards etc., so I am just trying to get my head around having general public, dogs, children etc loose and unrestrained while a helicopter lands in a public carpark.

helimutt, Apologies for my lack of knowledge. I heard it fly overhead while working in my garage, and later noticed it had landed in a carpark in the valley below us, about a mile away. It was tail-on to me, so I could not see any markings. When it left, it stayed tail-on to my viewpoint, so I could not tell if it was Ambulance or SAR, sorry. It was twin engined, coloured red and orange/amber. It was not a Sikorsky S61, or a Bolkow 105 or a Eurocopter, or a Squirrel, or an Agusta 109, or a Dauphin. (Nor was it a Jetranger, or a Hughes or a Robinson or a Schwitzer or an Enstrom). It had a tail rotor which was angled upwards and was mounted on the top, starboard side of a single central tail fin. It had horizontal stabilisers on both sides of the boom. It looked a bit like an Agusta 109, but wasn't. That's all I can say.

bell ringer, I was not suggesting the heli would crash into anything, but that something uncontrolled might hit it.
Sounds like an AW169. From behind and at that distance its never easy to identify a helicopter. Sorry I thought you were in the place it landed.