PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strange WiFi/router/modem problem
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:05
BirdmanBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rans6andrew
I called the ISP, again, and was instructed to plug a laptop in by ethernet cable and to log into the router settings and uncheck a box for synchronising 5GHz with 2.4GHz. Then rename the 5GHz so we can identify it and then we were to log all of our devices onto the 5GHz channels. That didn't work as none of our devices would log into 5GHz. We were then advised to give it 3 hours and try to log in again. No joy. I don't know what this change is supposed to do but 24 hours later we still can't connect on the 5GHz band but connections on 2.4GHz seem to be staying up for longer than before.

So, what was the change supposed to do?

Why would it take 3 hours or longer to happen?

Non the wiser but feeling that a bit of progress has been made......

Rans6..............

ISP clutching at straws me thinks. I cannot see the separation of the frequencies would solve this.

Do you know how to change your network adapter settings? If so, try adding static IP address and DNS servers to both ethernet and wireless adapters. To make sure your IP doesn't clash, open command prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit enter. Use the current IP address as your new static one. Then for DNS use Primary: 8.8.8.8 and secondary: 8.8.4.4

Save/OK and come out and then in command prompt run ipconfig /all again and check both adapters have changed to what you've set. The wireless adapter might not show anything if it's not connected.

Let me know how that goes. I'm UK based and happy to do a remote session FOC if it helps you, it's my day job