PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing in public areas - no marshalling?
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:38
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Landing in public areas - no marshalling?

Hi folks, I am not a heli pilot, so I have searched for the answer to my question which is: Are helicopters allowed to land in public carparks, with no marshallers on the ground?

I presume they are, since an air ambulance, or it might have been a SAR, has just landed on our local car park, and there were no marshallers, nor a cordoned off area. However, they took no passenger on or off, so were not landing for an incident, nor was there any technical trouble, since after chatting to a few dog walkers, they took off again. I was too far away to go and ask myself.

I am not having a go but am just curious how a helicopter is allowed to land on a public area such as a car park without ground marshalling. Cars were driving in and out of the car park all the while, so it had not been closed. What if a car, dog, child, or adult, drove, ran or walked into the helicopter? I realise most people would stay clear but just wondering what the risks are and who would be liable and what the insurance position would be?