Thread: Airbus ALT*
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2021, 02:34
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
tubby linton

(edited my original post)

I do very well, and the similarities with GF072 at Bahrain too. Also what geometric path of ALT* did to the A330 you rightfully mentioned. Definitely not an advocate V/S=0 for a makeshift go around, or doing 360 at low level instead of performing a proper one. Tons of Airbus presentations on that topic. Some tools at our disposal only need to be used when applicable and not when inappropriate.

True enough, the only other use case for V/S=0 I can think of is circle-to-land at 100 above MDA, really.

When gods of physics plays against us, with 4000 fpm climb rate you get ALT* at 2800 to go. Speed starts to drop, and you get TRAFFIC TRAFFIC against intruder 1k above the cleared level.
  • Push V/S=0, observe the nose drop with 0,3g unwinding VSI towards a reasonable value, dial +1500. Simples: one press and half-a-spin. Steady and predictable state results, neatly organized.

Reports of colleagues following the "outside of red arc" above the cleared level, towards the RA's target miss of 650 ft, are well known all over the world as a result of the full takeover option with their mind lagging behind.

The explanation behind OP CLB method sounds interesting, although my mind is playing tricks OP CLB is exactly what does not work.
Still feels unnatural at the first touch, OP CLB is something I'd normally associate with an unrestricted, more aggressive climb. VS=0 to interrupt the climb. The intuitiveness is opposite.

I did learn here about a trick where V/S=0 saves from further embarrassment if you got OP CLB instead of GS*, sounds interesting but for now it is an internet tip - so..

Any particular I painted myself into a corner stories about V/S=0 you're willing to share? Strictly anecdotal, of course. Do not get me wrong, I'd much prefer to heed the warning!

Last edited by FlightDetent; 22nd May 2021 at 03:38.