PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training on grass
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2021, 19:11
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Perhaps the concern is that rather than keep standards high, it is seen better to make things easier...............

And there is the other big issue - at 200 hours you have barely learned to fly a helicopter let alone teach other people to do so - this is justified by the need to hours-build to have a career progression.

Then because of the number of inevitable accidents caused by combining a helicopter unsuitable for basic training with instructors with little experience and ability, the insurance costs go up and people stop doing EOLS/full down autos. Dumbing down training because people 'have the right' to fly a helicopter.
Well, if you are referring to the R22, it is in no way unsuitable for basic training. I did my basic training in it and have no regrets. Not to mention having climbed into a Schweizer just after finishing my PPL I was even happier that I didn't have to learn in one of those! They are too slow, too sluggish, and just murder on my back!,...plus the possibility of them shaking themselves apart while still on the ground scared the **** out of me.

As for our insistence on using 200 wonders to teach, I'm right with you on it being utterly ridiculous and one of the more idiotic things we do in this country. However, II' pretty sure its not the addition of Robby to the training environment that started this trend of having newbies teach newbies.

,...and if you want to do full downs in a 22 you can do full downs in a 22. You just have to find the right school. However, I noticed that combining the skills learned in power recovery autos with hover autoes is just as good.