PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VTOL news updates - Australia
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2021, 02:27
robsrich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Australian Update - Mid May 2021.

Source: Editor's Welcome, Board Room Briefing.

"The ‘Year of Change’ has suddenly hit us – mostly good news across the rotorcraft industry. I am sure my fellow editors of aviation and business publications would be suffering as I have over past months as major changes within our economy (and health and politics) seem to bounce back and forth as fast as soccer ball during a global championship match. The cause of most of this chaos is due to our intense focus on the airline industry which has been dealt a near death blow over the past year or so. Fortunately, the domestic heavy metal folks have been given a boost as travel within our borders suddenly ramped up as we contained the domestic coronavirus to an acceptable level.

During some recent research on APAC nations, we noted the majority all the rotorcraft industries, which are general aviation (non-airline) appeared to be holding the line (i.e., not in recession). Although some have flatlined, their current trending is edging upwards – slowly. A respected industry consulting firm has predicted the APAC rotorcraft fleet growth will move from the current average 0.5% rate pa, to around 1.8% growth at the end of 2021.

But Australian's are surprised to note our growth rate has now edged up to just under 5% - almost like the good times about a decade ago. Maybe due to the size of our GA industry and the release of previously closed borders and the coronavirus hotspots.

In the coming edition one of Australia's trade journals will release Asia-Pacific (APAC) figures which shows an increasing shortages of engineers, pilots and even helicopters. COVID-19 caused losses of manpower in many areas, causing an aging work force and increasing fleet numbers are all signs that good news can create bad news??

Australia is also hurtling down the track to the final implementation of the decades long regulatory process. The next six months will consume a lot of people power as they get all the new manuals and permissions sorted. And of course we must share a thought for the CASA's staff who also have to reset their methodology and protocols in relating to industry.

The editor later stated publicly that a recent survey was showing both industry and the regulator were working well together to overcome the many hurdles we jointly have to overcome, not only to change existing operational rules but also introduce a substantial amount of additional legislation as new technology and aircraft types enter the marketplace.

Perhaps there will be a whopper of a New Year's Party, if we can all push in the same direction as APAC slowly eases out of the coronavirus setbacks.

What do you think?