PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISTAR Air Wing stands up at RAF Waddington
Old 19th May 2021, 09:46
Roland Pulfrew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NutLoose
I still think they missed a trick on the paint scheme, I realise that the white is there for temperature control et cetera, but with a minor tweak they could have added the lightning flash similar to the VC 10 at the front end as you’ve got the colours there, white grey and blue. And that would’ve made it an RAF scheme as opposed to looking just like a cast off American aircraft.
Only if you want to look like a Trucky.

Originally Posted by popeye107
Why not look externally for people to run Stations?

Thereby missing one of the purposes of Command. What would some parachuted-in civvie bring to the party? A complete lack of understanding of the role, purpose, ethos of the military.

Originally Posted by Nutloose
Why can’t o/c Ops do that as a Wing Commander and the Staish oversee it, after all the o/c Ops should be of a higher rank than the majority of aircrew on a Sqn, but here is a suggestion, one assumes that these cases are few and far between, why not have your “Group Captain” centralised somewhere covering these cases for the whole of the RAF instead of one on each station.
Or maybe Commander Air Wing will have responsibility for that. You know, the aircrew gp capt, commander, who has command of all of the people and assets. I'm sure the Commanding Officer regulations will catch up - one day.