PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has business travel really changed forever?
Old 19th May 2021, 07:59
Hartington

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I am neither a pilot nor an engineer. Many years ago, prior to 9/11, I was visiting the aunt of my wife in San Francisco. The Aunt had a friend who was something senior at the United base at SFO. He kindly agreed to take me on a tour.
Now, maybe I'm reading too much into this but he took me everywhere. We went through a completely stripped out 747, into the shop where they were packing escape chutes, the engine shop, I don't think we missed anything.
Another occasion in the USA I asked someone in a railway museum about a particular item in their collection I couldn't find. He had to drive the next train (I went with him) after which he took me to the shed where the item was. As we trundled down the main line he stood out from behind the controls and asked if I'd like to drive.
What's any of that got to do with business travel? It's about personal contact. Set aside the simple fact that neither could have happened if I had not "been there" I put both experiences down to the fact that I was asking "the right questions" and talking sensibly.
In a business context one of my clients had a particular problem. After some investiagtion (including a visit to the client) I came to the conclusion that the issue was related to a competitor company to my employer. However, I had met someone from that comptitor at several industry meetings so I phoned him. He put me in touch with somone at head office, problem solved. Had I not attended the meetings I might have seen him on Zoom but I wouldn't have gone out for a beer where we got to know each other which meant I felt able to phone him.
Humans are (generally) sociable beings. The contacts we make face to face are stronger than any we might make on a video call.
A slightly different tack. Companies go through phases. Yes, you can travel. Then the budget gets a bit tight so, essential travel only. Then things ease a bit and you even get business class for long haul. Then the budget gets tight etc. etc. I see Zoom and Teams in that light. In the short term we'll continue to use them but I anticipate a return to getting in the car, or train, or plane, or row boat(!) to occur but probably not for a few years.
Probably when the boss has had a miserable Zoom call and decided a person to person meeting is needed!