PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - strange WiFi/router/modem problem
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2021, 07:45
netstruggler

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rans6andrew
We were out for a while this afternoon and the Mint laptop was left switched on. Obviously a few mins after we left it went into hibernation. On our return I woke the laptop to find no internet access. We then powered up the win10 laptop and that failed to connect to the WWW. When I tried to ping the router or the DNS addresses both failed. The network manager of the Mint machine thought that the wireless link was good, the signal strength reported being higher than I ever see when the wireless connection is working, very strange.

I reset the router by pressing its reset button and everything was restored after a few mins. Surely this all points to a router issue?

Time to call the ISP again.

Rans6..........
Good luck with the ISP.

Seeing as you don't actually have a working WiFi link to your router then it's worth running ifconfig on your mint machine from a command window.

You'd be looking to see that the WiFi interface on the Mint laptop is 'Up' and has been allocated a sensible IP address. You could compare the results of the 'working' and 'not-working' states.

Note that the equivalent command on a Windows machine is ipconfig, possibly with /all after it.