PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew Ejects From Qatari F-15QA Fighter While On The Ground At Airport Near St. Louis
Old 19th May 2021, 06:31
Nolongerin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Back in 1976, we had a rear seat ejection from Harrier T2 which was then landed by the front seat pilot. The aircraft was porpoising as it overflow the airfield at Wildenrath. The ejection appeared to clear the problem. The rear seat pilot survived , uninjured if I remember correctly. Whilst the aircraft stayed in the hangar for many a week until the problem was resolved ( fine silt in the hydraulic oil getting into the rear PFCU platten), I think we just fitted another seat and canopy. It did return to squadron flying.
ps. I watched the T2 ejection from the car park as we were turning up for Friday midday shift change.
pps. I was working on top of that T2 some weeks later, when a GR1, possibly GR3, had an engine disintegrate (LP stage 3 stator root cracking) on take off and I watched that pilot eject. (Summers day, side hangar doors wide open with great views of the runway). Again I think he survived but with some injuries.