PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Aces A-4N AESA Radar
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2021, 11:01
LateArmLive

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn
That’s just not true Late Arm Live, you can’t mostly get more from the sim than you can from ‘most’ red air presentations. Whilst yes, obviously the sim does have its benefits, you ask any current fighter pilot on the front line and they’ll tell you that the sim is fine but it’s not that good. There’s so many issues with the sim when it comes to operating as a 4-ship, which I can’t be bothered to go into here - those that know, know. As for getting more out of your last 10 trips in the sim vs live, I simply refuse to believe that - what platform are you currently operating?

I’m going to question when the last time you flew red air or against red air? You don’t fly fuel conserving profiles as red air and the Falcons are not doing 0.5M either. The set tactics are briefed to achieve the DLOs which are stipulated in the CRWU syllabus, you can’t go off piste and rage. I feel you’re working from old experience and old knowledge.
Last flew as red air about a month ago. Last flew against red air today. Current platform F35. I assume you've not seen the F35 sim and are talking about legacy platforms with legacy sims. On both of my previous types I would have agreed with you, but not anymore.

I can lead and teach 4 ship tactics probably better in the sim for many reasons that I won't discuss here - those that know, know

Of course there are many things you can't get from the sim and need to go flying to experience - dip plans, fallout, actual weather, fear, ATC issues, civil traffic, NOTAMS etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take a flight over a sim any day. But you need to realise the world has progressed since the 1980s F3 sim...