PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly without fuel?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2021, 19:16
Rocchi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LH. Agree about thermal heat. Storage systems ramping up from Siemens gamesa ETES. Long term thermal energy storage and reuse for excess production from wind turbines and PV's. Maybe a better and cheaper option to mega batteries.

https://www.siemensgamesa.com/produc...rage-with-etes

gums.
Agree with small modular reactors (SMR's) and molten salt reactors (MSR's) whether thorium breeder reactors or uranium burner reactors. This is future tech, however MSR's when sorted and in production with run at 700C degrees and and after producing electricity will have excess heat for processes for desalination, district heating and synthetic liquid fuel production. Ref. content of post 39 above.

Fusion.
I first heard about this wonderful thing back in the early 1970's. I used to be quite young back then. It was said that this would be a thing in the near future, 15 -20 years. About 10 years ago I started taking an interest in a thing called the ITER, International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor. Billions are being spent for an experimental reactor that will sustain a reaction for five minutes at a time. When completed this will be fire up in "2025 with first plasma soon after and deuterium-tritium operations planned for 2035" (Wikip...). ITER is the precursor to DEMO a prototype fusion reactor which in turn has to be built and run experimentally for perhaps years prior to a final production design which will come in 2050 - 2060. So now I am old and fusion power is even longer into the future than my reasonable life span. So fusion power is for future generations to enjoy.

Last edited by Rocchi; 16th May 2021 at 20:46.