PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 15th May 2021, 17:17
plotplot

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking at a completely different approach here.

I remember looking into doing CFI training in the US back in 2017 when I was just getting started as I was having a tough time scoring the first job and wanted to explore all options. I did end up getting that first job not long after so never pursued it any further, but now am looking back into it again, for no other reason than I initially got into this line of work for the adventures it could lead to. I was in the group of future XJT new hires that received the letter of doom last September.

A few schools do still offer training through the F-1 visa program, which allows you up to 2 years (maximum) of paid work in the US, and only the first 11.5 months has to be tied to the school you did your training at. My understanding is in the second 12 month period you apply for the Optional Practical Training (OPT) and once authorization has been received, you are now "authorized to work in the United States" and are not tied to the company you did the training with.

Only question is what (if any) visa options there would be available to be able to work past this second 12 month period. Aside from the fact that maybe a couple of regionals might be hiring e3's again by this time, in which case you'd have been better off doing your instructor rating here. It would be nothing more than a high risk adventure exercise suited to young players Just thinking out loud.

Edit: and after a little more digging I've discovered the E2 investment visa. If you have $30-40k on hand to shell out for 6 months of instructor rating training, then if you can get a bit more together you might have a shot at an E2 visa. They generally look for a $100k investment but it can be done with $50k. If you've got any real estate on hand, highly likely that you're sitting on some nice equity right about now. If you're hell bent on making it in the US, could be an option?

Last edited by plotplot; 15th May 2021 at 17:42.