PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded pilot refused fuel in Antarctica
Old 14th Dec 2003, 19:03
RobboRider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been reading all the posts and can see both sides of the argument but have to say that one thing hasn't been brought up yet.
That is that the policy of not providing help to visitors and adventurers by NZ/USa at the south pole station is no secret and has been publicised for at least 7 years (I think I first read about the policy in either National Geographic or maybe Australian Geographic magazine. I even recall David Attenborough who did a show about antarctica on TV several years ago talking about the policy as he and crew were refused use of the station's facility's.

Like it or not I can see that if they didn't stick to their guns on the policy next month there'd be another "adventurer" turning up on the doorstep wanting fuel and then another and then another.

So when it came to planning this adventurer really should have acted as if the fuel wasn't available and got a couple of drums flown in before the event or had plans made so that if he had to land the drums could be flown in. Planning for headwinds is part of normal long flight planning so should have been thought of first. This was not an unforeseeabe event despite the prttests of some of the posts

Just my 2c worth