PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid Air in the US
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 11:29
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Tech guy :
Holding together after that certainly inspires confidence in the aircraft. Well done to the pilot getting back safely on the ground.
Indeed and if I was the pilot I would send a couple of bottles of Champagne to the widow of Ed Swearingen who sadly passed away a few years ago..
@ Capn Bloggs
The audio in the Youtube indicates that the Metro was not given Traffic on the SR22, only on the Cessna.
The VAS Youtube audio is just that , a recording from small scanners on the ground limited to line of sight , below 1000ft they might not pick up everything ,as we have seen before. The traffic could also have been passed on earlier, but not really relevant relevant as passing traffic info in this configuration is not mandatory .

This accident is interesting from an ATC point of view as it reveals the flaw of the US waver in authorizing the use of simultaneous parallel side by side approaches in so close separated runways. In any other Country the Cirrus would have been turned base behind the Metro, not in a 90 degrees conflicting course. But again that is allowed in the US and the controller just followed the rules of the place.

From a GA pilot point of view, looking at the tracks published, I tend to lean for a Garmin 1000 ( or any other similar EFIS) related accident rather than a Cirrus one. I have a few thousands hours GA behind me and the major cocks up I have seen in navigation were when using those EFIS. The thing is marvelous 99% of the time so it erodes your basic training and awareness. Because enter a single wrong digit or letter on a waypoint in flight and suddenly the thing sends you a few hundred Miles behind you. And then often the reaction is to spend time looking down trying to fix the bloody thing not looking outside anymore and overshooting where you were supposed to go.. I am not saying that is what happened here but seen the stable track across BOTH runway centerlines , I will be inclined to bet a bottle a Champagne on it.,
As someone already said, when cleared for visual you should looking outside and fly the pattern manually , not looking at a glass screen.