PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence vs Military assets
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 10:38
OJ 72

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts
In an attempt to move this thread back to something more military-focussed (and thus reduce the apoplexy level of some Forum members) here’s something to consider...

Whilst the transfer of materiel and military bases to a seceded Scotland (if they should want them!) should not be overly difficult - although it may be costly for what may be a cash-strapped Scottish nation - what becomes of those serving members of HM Forces who were born in Scotland?!?

There will certainly be some (many?!?) who may wish to transfer to what the SNP will propose as their military!! However, by virtue of the fact that these self-same people have voluntarily joined the UK forces, and have taken an oath of allegiance to HMTQ, then I suspect that an independent Scotland would be anathema to the majority of them!!

So what of them?!? They cannot be forced against their will to join a Scottish Defence force and what becomes of the Royal Regiment of Scotland et al?? Long gone are the days where we shamefully forcibly repatriated formed bodies of military to the the state that they paid nominal fealty to!!
Cf the Cossacks being forced back to the Soviet Union’s ‘protection’ in Austria in 1945!! OK...some of them did fight for the Wehrmacht, but you get my drift!!

Conversely, what will the Scottish government’s attitude be to their citizens who do not wish to serve in any ‘Scottish Defence Force’ (other nomenclatures are available) and wish to join the UK military?!? Will they be allowed by Holyrood to leave the ‘Hibernian Shangri-La’?? Will we in the UK accept them into the armed forces?!?

Remember, this precedent already exists as there are a large number of citizens from the Irish Republic current proudly serving in the Royal Navy, British Army and the RAF!

Axiomatically, the same argument will apply to the Police, Civil Service etc, but I did say that I was trying to drag things back onto a (vaguely) military heading!!