PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2021, 07:57
lc_461

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Angle of Attack
I disagree, I reckon our vaccinations would be close to 20 million by now with Shorten. He just wanted to do too much too quick in last election.
But sure as hell we would now have had quarantine centres built and a much higher vaccination level compared to this baseball hat muppet.
I don't think the vaccine program is such a 'debacle' as it is being made out by the media, who in one breath slam the govt for being slow, the next they scare monger about taking said vaccine.
Last year, the government backed four vaccine candidates, 2 of which (AZ and the UQ one) could be made onshore, 2 (Pfizer and Novovax) used technology which was until now unproven. One out of the portfolio of 4, which was chosen before trials had even been completed, failed. We have been caught out by 'vaccine nationalism' -- / Europe using their own facilities to vaccinate their own people, the same in the US. Whoever would have guessed..? Australia is doing exactly the same thing with our AZ production. The fact that many millions of vaccines never made it at the start of the rollout is hardly the federal govt's fault.
I'm based in the ACT while I 'wait out' Covid - and here all nursing homes are pretty much fully vaccinated, as are all health and quarantine workers exposed to critical areas. Something like 15% of the population have been vaccinated by the territory alone (without accounting for federal govt numbers). NSW (appearing to be a bloody competent state government..) and VIC are now breaking their own records each day as more supply comes online. Can't speak for QLD and other states...
The challenge I think is to really tell everyone who will listen to go out and get vaccinated! For the greater good of the elderly in society...
Eventually the borders will open, and as citizens we need to be 'prepared'.