PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Top Aces A-4N AESA Radar
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2021, 05:14
Foghorn Leghorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LateArmLive
I stand corrected, thanks!

As for synthetic vs live training, I almost hate saying this, but you can actually get more benefit from the sim these days than you can against most live red air presentations. Unless you invest in a modern and capable aggressor fleet as discussed above, you've just got a bunch of bizjets cruising around in the 20s at 0.5M and some mates in actual fighters who are probably flying fuel-conserving profiles in their assigned blocks (usually!) with set tactics and action ranges. Blue aren't able to use all their toys, neither can Red for various reasons.
Compare that to the sim, where you can fight the "real" threat in greater numbers and use the full capabilities of your aircraft, actually throw switches and have things die, rather than arguing with the RTO.

I don't believe an 80/20 mix is the right answer by any means, but I can honestly say I have gotten far more tactically out of my last 10 sims than my last 10 flights. We need both, but I can't give you an actual percentage breakdown yet.
That’s just not true Late Arm Live, you can’t mostly get more from the sim than you can from ‘most’ red air presentations. Whilst yes, obviously the sim does have its benefits, you ask any current fighter pilot on the front line and they’ll tell you that the sim is fine but it’s not that good. There’s so many issues with the sim when it comes to operating as a 4-ship, which I can’t be bothered to go into here - those that know, know. As for getting more out of your last 10 trips in the sim vs live, I simply refuse to believe that - what platform are you currently operating?

I’m going to question when the last time you flew red air or against red air? You don’t fly fuel conserving profiles as red air and the Falcons are not doing 0.5M either. The set tactics are briefed to achieve the DLOs which are stipulated in the CRWU syllabus, you can’t go off piste and rage. I feel you’re working from old experience and old knowledge.