PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Video of a fire fighting Z8A helicopter crashing in Yunnan Province, China, 10th May
Old 13th May 2021, 09:55
Fareastdriver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A fire fighting Z8A helicopter
; read military.

That is why it is important to train for TR malfunctions in the sim so your actions are almost pre-determined.
; what simulator?

I can remember (1978) the first Super Frelons for the Chinese Navy lined up in a hangar at Marignane awaiting Washington's clearance so that the Sikorsky componants used in the rotor system could be exported to China. Around the turn of the century the Chinese acquired the licences to produce a copy by themselves.

Should my experience of the Chinese military be of any use initiative and currency are way down the list. Most of the jet jockeys I have met turn in about 70-100 hrs/annum. One of the older helicopter pilots I trained attained 750 hrs in ten years service of which all but 150 hrs were 'training' either initial or as a 2nd pilot.

Consistently on the PLAAF bases I have visited aircraft utilisation follows a pattern. A group of aircraft at the head of the line are flown exclusively until they have a difficult problem. They are then shunted to the bottom to be used as Xmas trees whilst the covers are pulled off the next ones. The company I worked for had a contract to overhaul the PLA recce helicopters but the throughput was unnoticeable.

The regimentation of military life continues into the cockpit. The checklist is only just inferior to Mao and little can be done without reference to it. I spent a lot of time training our offshore pilots to break free from these constraints so it was replaced by situation awareness and most importantly, initiative but keeping within the safe flying boundaries.

安息吧 There was nothing they could do about it.

Last edited by Fareastdriver; 14th May 2021 at 09:04.