PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training on grass
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 16:19
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 433 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore
Crab /Shy...you should have tried Gazelle on skis at 1900kg onto snow/ice ,in manual...
Anyway,the WW was excellent ,even at 170 RRPM...Here`s one I prepared earlier,and maybe a familiar `face` for some of you `older chaps/ses...Cab was repaired in a month or so...
Sycamore - how do you get a Gazelle into "manual"? There's no fuel computer.....

There was a memorable set of skid marks at Ternhill during the winter of 1984-85 (I was instructing on 1 Sqn). We had just reached the EOL teaching stage of the Gazelle Course when there was a heavy snow fall, followed by rain then which then froze solid, leaving a hard crust and powder snow below. I was sent to check out the "EOL Triangle" area at Ternhill (large grass area between the cross runways 28 and 22). It wasn't safe because there was no contrast on the totally smooth snow so it would have been very difficult to estimate height for the flare. I suggested that ATC might drive their Land Rover around to generate some ruts....they did so and it was game on.

A couple of days later, we were all amazed to see a very impressive set of skid tracks which began at the southern end of the triangle, carry on completely northbound across its full length, up over the tarmac runway 22, over onto the northern grass, up over the tarmac perimeter track, across more grass outside that and finally stop on the upward sloping ground area just by the trees on the northern airfield boundary. This was a distance of nearly half a mile!!

I did find out who was involved...(he said they both nearly soiled their pants because they thought it would never stop) but no names mentioned