PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence vs Military assets
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 12:17
Tinribs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The previous points are well made but I think they should be taken as a collective argument
If the Scots government demand the passing of various fixed and mobile assets are they not also liable for a share of the debts incurred in obtaining those assets, viz the national debt?
To many, including me, the Scottish financial situation seems dubious after independence and no doubt the Scottish government have a plan.
The original plan seemed focused on oil revenues and who owned which bits of the product from which bits of the sea, the substance of those revenues is much reduced and will reduce further making Scottish finances questionable, there will be a plan Nicola is no fool
The arguments may focus on a debt incurred by the remaining British to hire Scottish facilities in the Scottish land, nuclear and aviation facilities
It would be difficult for the submarine force to operate from anywhere further south on the mainland, perhaps Ulster, or maybe not
It might be possible to negotiate a deal for the RAF airfields to remain open but subject to an element of Scottish control
I float these ideas as an interesting consideration of the possibilities