PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence vs Military assets
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2021, 17:08
OJ 72

Received 55 Likes on 15 Posts
pr00ne,

Being an Ulsterman trust me me I am certainly not labouring under any misapprehension that Britishness equates to Englishness…God forfend.

However, I think that it’s a trifle presumptuous of you to assume that the Scots will want to retain HM The Queen as Head of State. Remembering that the last nation (sic) to secede from the UK, the Irish Free State (then the Republic of Ireland (RoI)) most certainly did not wish to retain any semblance of linkage to the monarchy.

Regarding the retention of use of the term ‘Pound’, indeed the Scots can call their currency the ‘Jock’ (made up of 100 ‘Sporrans’) if they wish, but if they want to go it alone then as you say there should be no linkage to the Bank of England. Remember, from 1938 until the RoI joined the Euro in 2002 their currency was the ‘Punt’ (Ir£) made up (if I recall correctly) of the ‘Scilling’ and the ‘Pingin’(?).

As for everyone in Scotland having the right to call themselves Scottish citizens that is a given. However, as you may recall from the Belfast Agreement (1998) the complex tenets of nationality are not just as clear cut as they first may seem. Everyone in Northern Ireland now has the right to be British, Irish, Northern Irish or any combination of the above! So what about the nationality rights of, what will be a very large number of Scottish Unionists? 32% of Unionists who did vote + the X% of Unionists who didn't vote in the recent Scottish Parliamentary elections!!

Indeed, given that the largest Pro-Union constituencies in Scotland are the border counties, will there be scope of redrawing the map of Scotland allowing these pro-Union counties to remain within the UK? Remember, that precedent has been set with the formation of Northern Ireland in 1921.

As regards the Civil Service I didn’t assume that they were English. However, they CS as now constituted serves ALL of the UK. If, and again God forfend, Scotland secedes from the Union, then, as per the RoI (and indeed Northern Ireland following the outworking of the Government of Ireland Act 1920 (and subsequent Acts)) then an independent Scotland will have to set up it’s own independent CS to serve their own wholly independent state.

As I said, an independent Scotland would be total anathema to me (and indeed many people), and as for a United Ireland…this is not the forum to go down that tortuous road. But the main thrust of my argument was that, contrary to what the SNP and their fellow travellers would have us believe, independence is not simply a matter of tearing down the Union Flag, putting up the Cross of St Andrew or the Lion Rampant, and replacing God Save The Queen with 'Scotland the Brave', 'Flower of Scotland' or even 'Stop Yer Ticklin’ Jock'. There are a huge amount of complex relationships to be sorted and mutually agreed, and these matters will not just be meekly acquiesced by HM Government despite what Ms Sturgeon thinks. We are certainly not going to solve the Scottish question** in this forum, but, one thing that you and I certainly can agree on is that Scotland has much more to lose by seceding from the Union than it has by remaining!

**This could have all the makings of what Sellar and Yeatman said in '1066 and All That'...'
Every time the English tried to solve the Irish Question, the Irish changed the question!!'