PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads-up - uncontrolled reentry of large rocket booster projected May 8-10
Old 11th May 2021, 12:18
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
there are some indications that the China rocket was on a trajectory after launch which took it unusually close to the ISS. Different "mavens" on orbital dynamics and parameters, launch sequences and procedures, and tracking of space objects were tossing the issue of deliberateness or intent around earlier today. Former NASA Administrator Bridenstine remarked on this today, in a webinar on issues in national security (U.S.) space. What the various, several mathematical factors prove, infer, suggest or otherwise prompt as further questions, I'm not commenting (as it's way outside my subject matter lanes).
From what I've heard/read the closest approach is being quoted at just over 280km but not the orientation of that approach and without knowing that it's hard to grasp how much of a threat there really was. There is as you point out plenty of debate about whether this was deliberate or not - FWIW I gather the launch date/time was set by the Chinese several weeks back and there was also a short pre-launch hold to complicate matters, so it could all be down to chance or simply a lack of care in the planning.

What doesn't seem to be beyond doubt is that none of the ISS partners were given any warnings or a heads up about any possible conflict.

Last edited by wiggy; 11th May 2021 at 12:40.