PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Scottish Independence vs Military assets
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2021, 14:11
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Scottish Independence vs Military assets

It appears that the issue of Scottiish Independence may soon be addressed again, if the SNP have their way. I have my own views on the merits of this, as I am sure most do (craving independence only to re-join the EU and give it away again , relying heavily on oil revenues when the whole world is going green and they don't own the oil, basing recovery on the abilities of one of the most unhealthy workforces in Europe etc etc), but my question is not about whether Scotland should leave, but about the UK's military assets and other related issues. I would like the opinions and views of the sage Pprune contributors.

Examples:
-There is a lot of investment going on at Lossie for Wedgetail, Poseidon etc. Does the base close and are all assets moved South of the border? Scottish taxes paid for part of the work, so how is this addressed?
- If UK bases remain in Scotland, are they given 'Sovereign' rights ie. SBA's in Cyprus?
-There are a lot of Scots in the UK Forces, and indeed entirely Scottish regiments. Do they remain in the Service of the UK Armed Forces when Scotland is not in the UK? If they get the right to stay, then can a Scot who is not currently serving joing the UK Forces? Can an Englishman join any future 'Scottish' military?
- Trident (and replacement)??

Interesting times.