PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fly without fuel?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 15:14
flyingorthopod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
The climate changing all the time through history is undisputed. The contribution of the man made part is the big question. Can we really change it? It changed brutally over times even without any humans on planet earth back then.
No question we should better protect our environment and not chop off rain forests, spill oceans and such. There is a lot of room to improve things for sure.
I just don't see how today's religious move to battery electric power would save the world? It will save at least the world's copper and lithium producers.The entire debate is way more ideological than scientific motivated it seems. Modern day political PR or even hidden investors and interest groups?

With stricter rules many things will become more expensive or must be bought new. Lower income groups will be excluded from using many modern day comforts leaving the streets empty for all those fancy "green" E-SUVs.
I share your concern that making the world less carbon dependent is expensive and risks excluding the world's poor from modern life. We need to do it right.

We are where we are but the current climate position and rate of change is caused by human CO2 emission. There is no scientific debate about that any more. If we stop emitting CO2 we can slow the rate of change and stop the world warming out of the cyclic position it has held for the last few million years.

Idealogical groups like Extinction Rebellion with really dramatic tactics that massively inconvenience everyone, stop people working, stop the economy and generally annoy everyone don't help at all in my opinion.

We do have an electric car though. Kia E NIro. It's great. Acceleration to overtake is astonishing, absolutely left a tailgating F-type for dead the other day joining a dual carriageway from 30 limit, and in energy consumption terms it does the equivalent of about 160mpg, 200mpg in town. Regardless of your position on CO2 and fuel electricity is a great way to propel cars, charging infrastructure notwithstanding.