PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time for a new school
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 11:23
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
J Morgan, Lots of good advice above. I will agree that there is no clear answer here, 'could be the instructor, 'could be you, 'probably an imperfect combination. That said, it generally should be possible for any two pilots to fly together, and is an expectation in a commercial environment. It will mean that each pilot has to give a little to get along. But, that said, as a student, you should expect some extra give and mentoring, while you acclimatize, and build skills.

From my own perspective, a bit over a decade ago, with about 6000 hours of fixed wing time, I took helicopter training. I was shared between two both very experienced instructors. One primary, the second because the first would be my examiner, and was not permitted to fly my latter training. The two instructors could not have been more different from each other. The examiner instructor was generally grumpy, and I would know my flight was good, if he had been mostly quiet. But, I knew that I had to be agreeable as he would be my examiner. The other instructor was charming, engaging, and actively mentoring. I learned lots from both of them, but in different ways. I had to find the way to extract the learning from quiet grumpy guy, but is was worth it, he had so much experience, I just had to grab and pull. The second instructor filled me with confidence, but did not drive me to prove myself.

The instructor you're having trouble with may not be great at encouraging, and mentoring, everyone can build their interpersonal skills. If you can change instructors without a fuss, and continue, 'nothing wrong with that. But, if it's a fuss to change, take on the challenge of learning from a difficult teacher, we get them from time to time. That instructor is there because they have met at least the minimum requirements to teach flying. They may be adequate, they may be "good" ('sounds like they're not awesome). Make it your challenge to rise above the lesson, and align with another person at a higher level to make a "crew" in the cockpit. You don't have to be super experienced to act as a crew member, you just have to be an active part of things - in this case, the student. This won't be the last time you have to share a cockpit, so practice yourself, pulling the training a little, rather than expecting it to flow out perfectly.

The worst thing could be I'm wrong, okay, move on... But do so knowing that you put in the extra first...