PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - All borders to reopen.
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 05:48
ExtraShot

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder if you're conflating two different propositions here?

Yep, the Gubbinment would like needs immigration to return but I'm not so sure about tourists.
No I’m not, I didn’t mention Tourism, though inbound or outbound it’s all favorable for us to get back to work, we want bums on seats.

However , Immigration doesn’t return the way treasury forecasts need it to unless International travel returns. It’s not just permanent migrants. But PR holders, Students, Temporary workers, etc etc... it adds up to many more travelers than a Net migration figure of 200000 (many of whom also then themselves travel back and fourth to visit family and friends). The governments numbers don’t add up without it all, and many businesses will be ‘leaning’ on them making it happen ASAP.

Iron ore may have hit $200 a ton (I’d say Gina and twiggy are smiling more than Josh), but Structural steel is up about 3-4 times, as is the price of lumber... that won’t do the building industry any favors unless there’s a way to keep demand at levels that will endure the required price rises. We know the rent seekers in the property industry love the way our immigration policies have kept demand for property elevated. They are a prime example of those in industries beyond tourism wanting unrestricted travel to return soon, and at the highest levels possible.