PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads-up - uncontrolled reentry of large rocket booster projected May 8-10
Old 7th May 2021, 02:12
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NWA SLF

According to the ALPA Safety Bulletin --

Regarding the current situation: "While the launch was successful, the booster stage of the launching Long March 5B rocket was designed for an “uncontrolled” re-entry, and therefore the exact time and location of its return is unknown." (emphasis added)

Regarding the Starlink rocket in the Seattle area: "The most recent uncontrolled re-entry of a rocket was on March 26, 2021, when part of a SpaceX Falcon9 launch re-entered at night over the Pacific Northwest. Debris, including several 200lb pressure tanks, survived re-entry and struck the ground."

Several news outlets have quoted - in both incidents - the professor who is widely regarded as the most knowledgeable and authoritative person on stuff in orbit (a Harvard astrophysics prof). I'm quoting, though, just the ALPA bulletin, inasmuch as this isn't an astrophysics forum (which I wouldn't understand anyway), and whereas the ALPA information was issued over the names of three ALPA officials with relevant subject matter areas of responsibility. (What might or might not have been stated in any publicly available English versions of announcements by PRC or its agencies, I don't know.)