PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GT knows where MH370 is.
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2021, 01:53
MickG0105

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent_86
This sentence probably sums up the article:

"WSPR is very versatile and can detect flying aircraft under certain conditions and ionospheric circumstances. Further investigation regarding ionospheric influence on the process of aircraft WSPR detection is required.

So nothing 'concrete' again, just a bunch of Ham's experimenting and hypothesising on what could be. GT takes the bait again...
I don't know enough about the physics to weigh in authoritatively but there seems to be mounting skepticism about whether proper reliable detection via WSPR is possible. It seems like a stretch from such a low power, high noise-to-signal system that has myriad inputs and influences. I'm aware of the vast development effort that went into making Jindalee over-the-horizon radar a usable system and there were talking 500+ kW transmitters - WSPR is down in the milliwatt range. This approach feels like what radar might have looked like if it was invented by homeopaths but never say never I guess.

Of some concern is the explanation that as the March 2014 data was recorded close to the April 2014 solar activity peak (a once in 11 year event) the 'observations' aren't currently reproducible - always a concern when you're trying to validate an experiment. Time will tell I guess.

Last edited by MickG0105; 7th May 2021 at 02:33. Reason: Formatting