PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heads-up - uncontrolled reentry of large rocket booster projected May 8-10
Old 6th May 2021, 21:19
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just getting this out of the way first: I opened this thread strictly based on the IFALPA (and ALPA) deeming the situation serious enough to be the subject of the warnings or advisories they issued -- no anti-China sentiment or bias motivated it.

Second, I've acquired some at least modest familiarity with academic and related literature on space debris, congestion of the space domain, and the application of conventional thinking to overall, or generalized, problems of safety of space operations. I am not completely certain of this answer, but if significantly large pieces of space debris ever had collided, upon re-entry, with a civil aircraft anywhere, such an accident would -- without question -- feature prominently in the referenced literature. I know, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, so FWIW. (For comparison, references to the Chinese ASAT test which created thousands of pieces of debris in 2007 are almost a prerequisite in discussions, slide decks, academic papers, and much else, on space debris problems.... the inference being that if a collision of debris with an aircraft ever had occurred, logically it would have garnered similar prominence, in all likelihood.)

Last, it's clear that expertise, virtuosity in performance, and even real pioneering achievements in space technology are continuing to make news. Some would argue that latecomers to space technology do more than just "stand on the shoulders of giants" who preceded them - such latecomers sometimes bypass the attention given to safety, quality assurance, and implicit norms of responsible behavior in space. Some argue that the U.S. is at fault, because it has opposed efforts by other countries to set in place formal rules or norms, or items like a proposed Code of Conduct. Since this is one of my professional areas of study I could go on a lot more....but a prior post said it better than I could: yes Skylab tumbled out of orbit, let's see, that was before Wright Field on Mars, wasn't it?