PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2021, 22:01
oldgrubber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuc,
The trip in question was minus jets, so there was just us, the 771 cab and a Merlin that took ages to get serviceable on the Fort boat. Nottingham did have a Lynx but that went for a swim. I must admit I can't remember whether we did any actual "rescues", but the winch was not just for show. So hats off to you for not bowing to pressure. We were actually ready to go to 2 fishermen floating in an empty storage container (1 dead unfortunately), but the RFA got there first.
I really think the "5 Merlins can do" statement has cost the Navy dearly. As you said, beancounters just don't understand what they're doing beyond their little bubble. The guy who first said it obviously meant in the ASW role, in a particular scenario, but why let the truth get in the way. Now we have a further attrition of ASW cabs by fitting a bunch of them with a bag (if only they had looked seriously at the storage cabs for Asac). Yes I know it's role fit, but you know that's cobblers. The image of doing a hot role change on deck when Red October comes knocking, is just for public consumption in my opinion.
H "n" H,
I keep forgetting that the language we spoke was very particular to the Navy and WAFFUs especially. I know my first attempts at producing a CV on leaving the RN needed "de-Mateloting" by my career transition advisor.