PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2021, 16:32
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Ah oldgrubber, I didn't realise it was like that with the Mk 7's. The way the Mk. 2's operated linked to the Stovies is how I remember it. We always enjoyed it when the Stovies called it a day from emulating "Top Gun" and slunk off to their scratchers as we knew the Bags would soon be off to bed too. After that it all became much more "civilised" and we had the whole deck and the LIFTS (Yay!!!) to ourselves. None of this "No you can't use the lifts! The SHARs are on Alert 120 (or similar)!!!!".

Re Watch systems I know there were always discussions/debates and the "Long Day, Short Day" is the main one I recall. I do find it difficult to recall how such things worked these days such is the passage of time and me with a shocking memory. Re the "R3-DB", clearly the range of the screen from Mum was key as transit times (including the turnrounds) played a big part in maintaining 2 on screen at all times. After a while you just can't achieve it and I do recall times we only had one on the Barrier as SAR cover was always discussed. Working Passive I don't think it was that much of an issue. Tho it did do my head in trying to recall how the "Ripple" worked when playing with bits of paper yesterday.

Thankfully, I don't have that problem with maintaining "time on station" over at my Local as I live just over the road from it. My "time on station" vs "transit time" is definitely biased in favour of beer-drinking (COVID rules permitting!). Talking of that - 'ave you seen the time????!!!! Got to Launch!!!!!!!! Lashings off.........!!!!!

Cheers, H 'n' H