PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Seletar - 1950s
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2021, 09:02
NutLoose

Received 2,934 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Originally Posted by ancientaviator62
Fareastdriver,
I think you are correct. But I have spoken to a pal who passed out from his fitter's course just after the change and he is adamant that he wore the single upside down stripe !
I think the answer may be that many of these 'wunder schemes' are introduced before the correct kit is available and thus many continue with the old. He tells me that some wore the upside down stripe for a long time until they were ordered to change..We always regarded it as a sign of our superiority in the ground trades !

My dear chap, you are not looking at it through RAF Eyes... The RAF having spent a considerable sum of pennies to have their uniforms altered pre course completion were hardly likely to have the tailor then unpick and discard the old badges and replace them again for another amount of pennies and waste a perfectly acceptable unused badge, so they decided to return the uniforms with the new old badges fitted and then replace them at a later date down the line after having got some use out of them...

When at Swinditz we were issued with the new No2 and Thunderbird Jackets, at Saints on my course the WRAF members that turned up had been issued with Hairy Mary's, both were issued at the same time, but obviously the WRAF still had the old uniforms to issue, so did..