PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What’s it like flying in the Republic of the Congo?
Old 3rd May 2021, 22:10
V1... Ooops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've spent some time flying in the DRC while working for a European operator.

It's a huge country, see this image on Wikipedia to get a sense of how big it is: Congo overlaid onto USA map

It is a dangerous country to work and fly in. There are a number of reasons for this. There is political instability, and the government does not control large parts of the country - hence there is no security in large parts of the country. Airports & airfields are not maintained, there is no budget to do so. Consequently you will find (for example) very big potholes in the runway of the main international airport at Kinshasa, or the last 2,500 feet of a runway at another major airport still covered with lava from a volcano that erupted decades ago.

If you are considering working for a Congolese operator - don't. You can expect overloads, poor or non-existent maintenance, and the operator trying to pay you with monkey money (local currency) at the end of the month instead of hard currency.

If you are considering working for a first-world operator who will be flying in the Congo, be aware that living there is very much a hardship post, and you will need to get numerous vaccinations before you set foot in the country.

I spent many years working in Africa, primarily in war relief in the middle of various civil wars. If I had a choice between being posted in Somalia or being posted in Congo, I would pick Somalia in a heartbeat.

Hope this gives some perspective.