PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THR vs THR REF on a go around (744/8)
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:44
back to Boeing

Received 104 Likes on 50 Posts
RandomPerson8008

there’s a couple of misconceptions here but I don’t have a huge amount of time to reply at the moment and also the exact logic I am unsure of.

All I have to go on is experience in flying multiple Boeing types and the manuals that are issued to train pilots. But I don’t know much more technically than what is in them.

but firstly what exactly is it that your colleague is saying that you’re wrong on. Just so I can try to give you the correct answer (need to know the exact confusion).

secondly, you disconnect the auto throttle so that the aircraft doesn’t revert to the wrong mode when you go zooming through your missed approach altitude when you’re attempting to recover. Having the thrust levers go back to idle when you’ve just escaped a wind shear will leave you needing new underwear.

But to be crystal clear. Once you have initiated a go around by pressing the toga switches and you subsequently get a wind shear, no matter what mode you are in (manual or auto flight) you must press the TOGA button again to get the aircraft from out of the normal go around mode and in to the maximum performance mode (these are not technical terms). What exactly happens to the flight director logic at this time I’m not 100% sure. But a wind shear warning does not automatically feed anything in to the AFDS. You MUST press toga to initiate the wind shear mode in the AFDS.

Last edited by back to Boeing; 3rd May 2021 at 11:58.