PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK to Decommission 50%+ of Airbus A380, Axe 1/2 of Pilots & Cabin Crew
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:42
Fired600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand totally where NimrodJoe is coming from because I feel very similar. It wasn’t so much what they did but how they did it. We all expected cuts and possible redundancy. What we didn’t expect was the brutality, and method of selection, not to mention the handling of the redundant staff.

I understood that seniority meant little in EK but thought in my naivety that it would have had a bearing on who was selected. It turned out that it was based on sickness, and not just on shirkers but on genuine cases, ie cancer, surgery and pregnancy. Quality of work was ignored, past success in the simulator and on line, or otherwise was ignored. You could be Chuck Yeager and fired or the most junior FO with 1500hrs TT released to line and kept on.

Once the selection was made the handling of it, and the communication from the company was a disgrace. I for one had not one single email from the company expressing their regret or otherwise. There was no duty of care evident, not a word from anyone in management as to if we were even alive or how we were coping or if we needed help.