PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is a/g no longer safe?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2003, 05:27
cubflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fly from an airfield with 3 hard and 3 grass runways with an Air to ground service. It might be the same one??!!
However, where I fly I find the a/g service works just fine and the standard of airmanship is generally good. I fly a slow aircraft sometimes non radio and also a fast aircraft which has a radio. In the fast aircraft I sometimes have to extend the circuit to keep behind slower aircraft, but so what I'm flying for the fun of it anyway.
We have aerobatics overhead, but they dont get in anyones way
We join overhead, descend on the deadside of the main runway in use, but are still able to use the in to wind runway if necessary as long as we respect the circuit traffic on the other runways. Yes sometimes there is a problem that the in to wind runway is the short runway that some of the larger aircraft might prefer not to use, but it works out very well and good airmanship is usually shown.
As with all airfields there are sometimes people who dont quite get it right, but they usually get told, whether they were the microlight that cut someone up on final the other day, or the Cessna that reported "long finals" and expected everyone else in the circuit to join in behind him, rather than him joining overhead.

Ive also flown from some AFIS airfields and I find these a real pain sometimes, with the AFIS operators often going beyond their remit and pilots equally expecting to be cleared to do anything, when the AFIS operator has no authority to clear them. Often far too much radio chatter and long waits at the holding point, because the aircraft in front dont know what to do without being told.

A/G works very well at a lot of busy airfields and of course is used almost everywhere in the USA, mostly with no one on the ground except a receptionist who can order fuel for you!

The airfield I fly from(only moved there this year) is one of the friendliest Ive ever been to has a great atmosphere and I would say a lot of good pilots who can cope well with the varied traffic. Most people seem to be very happy with the way things run. I hope if this is the same place that we never get AFIS or full ATC- for a start I dont want to pay for it and then the next thing someone will say you cant fly if they are not there!! Air Traffic has its place and I use their very good services every day at work, but it is totally un-necessary where I fly for fun.
There are plenty of airfields around with full air traffic, if that is really what you want you could always go and fly at one of these airfields.

happy flying!!