PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC225 crash near Bergen, Norway April 2016
Old 1st May 2021, 21:08
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by helicrazi
It's been a long while since I strapped into a 225, but I dont think this is entirely accurate. The 225 flown without any upper modes would still get you into trouble. The hidden protections would only help with at least 1 upper mode engaged. So in this instance (I dont think the 92 had any upper modes engaged) then the outcome may have been the same. (Assuming the 225 gearbox could take the ramp up in torque that the 92 took)

Look at G-REDU, that flew itself straight in... no upper modes...
you are correct on a simplistic level. But the point is that the 225’s upper modes are so capable that they tend to get used eg on a visual segment post-MAP, and any sensible operator encourages or mandates it. The S92s upper modes can’t be used at low IAS and anyway are quite soggy, so it’s back to the human and fallible pilot by necessity.

Of course since I left the N Sea in 2013 things have moved on to the 175 and 189, which probably have good autopilots (well the 175 certainly does) but then again, have the fatal design flaws on those new aircraft manifested themselves yet? Who knows!