PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2021, 22:25
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I am still convinced that we would be able to send more Merlins to sea if we did not need some for the forthcoming flying trials of HMS Prince of Wales, and a number of them were not being modified to be able to take the Crowsnest kit.

Just as well that they have been practising a quick turnaround:

Anyway - Little's theorem is probably not useful for numbers of ASW helicopters as it deals with stationary systems. I have struggled with why only three aircraft were needed to keep an AEW Sea King on station all the time, but nine were needed to keep two ASW cabs on station at all times. Then I reread the link about Exercise Deep Blue.

Throughout the Exercise, the Merlin aircraft were embarked on HMS Illustrious. Aircrews and engineers worked round the clock alongside pilots and aircrew operating on a non-stop ‘sleep-eat-fly-sleep’ rotation to support three aircraft aloft at all times with two on ready status.

If you did away with the ones on alert on deck, you could maintain two on station with six aircraft. I have to say I wonder why you need ones on alert on deck if you have Merlin equipped frigates - what am I missing?

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 28th Apr 2021 at 22:37.