PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson Safety Courses
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2003, 23:12
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Did I say interpretation?

To: 3 top

You are right they are recommendations not restrictions. However in the certification of any helicopter the following are required demonstrations in order to gain certification. In forward flight at around.68VNE (I think that is the required speed) the pilot must kick hard right pedal so the aircraft is positioned 90-degrees from the original flightpath. He must hold that position for a proscribed time and then kick opposite pedal to shift the aircraft 90-degrees from the original flight path. There should be no resultant problems.

Another demonstration is to fly the helicopter +/- 10- degrees left and right flying out of trim at the same speed as above. Also with no problems arising.

Now we refer to the RECOMMENDATIONS which state “Avoid sideslip during flight. Maintain in-trim flight at all times.

Do you see any problems or conflict between the certification requirements and the recommendations in the POH?

As far as my being at least a PPH to make any comments I have been associated with helicopters since 1949 either as a mechanic or as an engineer.