PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do all Airline Pilots hate Single Pilot Operations?
Old 13th Dec 2003, 22:59
The Jetlag Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200,000 hours in 20 years and no accidents? Actually, I know of at least one fatal accident in a single-pilot citation - last year with the owner-pilot and two of his guests died for unknown reasons. Pilot incapatation is suspected. Can you imagine the horror that those two passengers must have experienced for the last 3 to 4 minutes of their life?

I quess my beef isn't with single-pilot jet operations - the military has been doing it successfully since Frank Whittle first put kerosene in an aircraft fuel tank - but rather with single-pilot operators in the IFR environment. "Light" IFR, in a low workload area is one thing; "heavy" IFR in a place like the Northeast Corridor or the L.A. Basin (or Phoenix, or Dallas, or Chicago, etc...) is a completely different matter. There are times when, for safety sakes, you ought to have a second pilot on a Cessna 182.

One of the big lessons that all pilots need to learn if they want to grow old is what is safe isn't always legal and what is legal isn't always safe.

The Jetlag Kid