PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Air Touring Club - Biggin Hill: History Sought
Old 26th Apr 2021, 07:13
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Biggin was 'THE PLACE' to be in the 60's for anything aviation south of London. Apart from the growing clubs many aircraft used the custom facilities for the French connection, and it was here that I saw my first real Turbulent close up when the pretty little machine (with canopy) dropped in on its way back from the continent.
As I recall it was getting rather late and the machine popped in onto the runway by the GA apron and the driver taxied 'tail up' and parked up followed by a hasty run across to do the paperwork thing. A few minutes later he reappeared (I am nearby) and still wearing a LJ hopped in saying he was in a bit of a hurry to get to Redhill before dark. He then bent forward and pulled the cable operated (lawn motor type) starter and headed towards the downhill taxiway, which then became the convenient runway for his departure !!. For me this was a pivotal moment in deciding that gliding around the Kenley circuit was not to be my only aviation involvement.
I was in the same place some time later when my eyes gazed upon a beautiful RF3 going past (wings rocking on the hoops) which only confirmed that with its VW engine powered flight was affordable even for me. Biggin was a mecca for anyone who aspired to fly, and formed part of an aviation triangle together with Croydon and Kenley, that not only served the Country well in two conflicts, but provided a continued boost to the 'air minded' youth in peace.