PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plan to shift half of Sydney’s air traffic controllers to Melbourne
Old 26th Apr 2021, 06:11
sunnySA

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Approach
I think the basic premise is true, Sydney is an expensive place so the ATCS get (I think) 12% more than others for living there.
Sydney ATCs do get paid more than their colleagues at Melbourne and Brisbane (etc), however is based on complexity argument that the Union run and won back in 1988 or 1989.
The problem is that someone from Sydney who applies for ATC will be most likely posted to Melbourne or Brisbane, or to one of the Towers around the country. Very few are able to get a direct return to Sydney, maybe half a dozen people in the past decade.

Originally Posted by Mr Approach
Once all of the problems with housing, schools, partners jobs and so on were fixed, I am sure the controllers are much happier.
Enlightened organisations hire skilled relocation practitioners to assist as they realise that they need to get their employees and their families settled quickly and smoothly. Assistance to find GP, DAME, dentist, vet or whatever ancillary services the family would need in their chosen local area. Would AirServices deem it an "own time, own expense" transfer? Probably not.